Novell,MS and Xen

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 13:49:14 EST 2006

The original post asked:

> Wasn't one of the reasons given for this deal was for better Linux/Windows
> interop? Wouldn't Xen on a Intel CPU capable of harware virtualization be
> enough interop?

And the answer is no.

Neil Joseph Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com> writes:

>> These are some of the things which HW virtualization will not fix.
> One has nothing to do with the other.  Xen can run Windows servers if that's
> your point, but that's not necessarily needed.

Running a Windows server does not constitute interoperability.
Interoperability is the ability of two distinct and different entities
to cooperated with either other using a common set of protocols and/or
interfaces.

My Cisco router is interoperable with my SMC switches because they
both understand speak a common protocol.  Linux and Microsoft based
products are *not* compatible with each other and running one in a
virtual environment on the other will not make them so.

My previous post was attempting to describe certain scenarios where
Linux and Microsoft are currently very incompatible and meant to
rhetorical.
--
Seeya,
Paul