Novell,MS and Xen

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Fri Nov 10 14:08:56 EST 2006

On Friday 10 November 2006 01:49 pm, Paul Lussier wrote:
> The original post asked:
> > Wasn't one of the reasons given for this deal was for better
> > Linux/Windows interop? Wouldn't Xen on a Intel CPU capable of harware
> > virtualization be enough interop?
>
> And the answer is no.

I agree.  And I thought the purpose of this deal was to offer support.  Major
vendors like this don't really offer products as much as they do contracts.

> Running a Windows server does not constitute interoperability.
> Interoperability is the ability of two distinct and different entities
> to cooperated with either other using a common set of protocols and/or
> interfaces.

I agree here too and would much rather everyone play along.

> My previous post was attempting to describe certain scenarios where
> Linux and Microsoft are currently very incompatible and meant to
> rhetorical.

I only meant to point out that the interoperability problems you mentioned
aren't all unworkable.  The NFS may be, but I haven't ever had need to use
the Windows NFS tools.  The others were doable, some easily.
-N