[SPAM-25] Re: XML quote Re: Meeting Notes: SLUG Mon 14 Nov - Google Earth and everything else

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Tue Nov 14 10:59:57 EST 2006

Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> Basically it's just HTML with made-up tags instead of standards like
> <b>This is bold</b>.  The advantage is that you can use a standard
> parser rather than inventing a new parser every time, and then just
> look through your already parsed data for particular
> application-dependent key->value pairs.
Sigh, this isn't really true. Both HTML and XML are more like siblings.
Both are subsets of SGML.
(Standard Generalized Markup Language) SGML was devised many years ago
to be a way to represent
documentation markup. Sort of a descendant of nroff if you like. The
team that designed SGML was
senior enough and forward thinking enough to craft a markup language
that could be used to represent
almost anything. Part of the SGML standard allows for the creation of
user-defined tags, what Drew
refers to as made-up tags. User defined tags must be defined following a
set of rules, just like definining
variables in your favorite programming language.

HTML allows for sloppy parsing that doesn't strictly conform to the SGML
specification. On the other
hand XML adheres strictly to the SGML standard and doesn't allow sloppy
parsing. Therefore
where HTML allows things like a <br> tag with no closing tag XML
requires either a matching begin-end
explicitly says 'this tag has no content.'