FiOS/networking question

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Sun Nov 19 21:55:47 EST 2006

jsf wrote:

> Looking at /etc/resolv.conf   I see this which is partly correct:
>
> domain threeofus.com
> nameserver 10.10.70.1
>
> the problem is, I don't really KNOW what the domain should be, if
> anything... the hostname of the box is still monica and that's set
> correctly...

The domain ought not really to matter. The domain is just appended to
any non-FQDN (fully qualified domain name). So, if you type ping fred,
it would try fred.threeofus.com. If you typed ping www.google.com, that
would work fine.

If you are running DNS on the box, then the nameserver can be its own IP
or 127.0.0.1.
If you are not running DNS on the box, then this ought to come from your
DHCP server automatically (your DHCP client ought to update it).
Or, you can manually set it to whatever Verizon gives you (which is what
your DHCP server should be doing).

> How can i set this up so I can ssh to it from both inside and outside
> my network with some kind of meaningful name?

Forward port 22, which you've already done.
On your DNS host outside, setup an A record pointing to your Verizon IP
number using whatever appropriate name.
Inside your network, on the SUSE box, just add a line to /etc/hosts
pointing the name to the internal IP.
It gets a bit trickier for the other systems, as they are getting their
DNS presumably from Verizon via the DHCP server.
You could run an internal DNS server and point everyone there, instead
of using Verizon's DNS. I do that often.
However, if you prefer not to do your own DNS, add the same line to any
Linux /etc/hosts files on the other boxes.
For Windows systems, add the line to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

The host line would look like this:
192.168.1.123           fred.threeofus.com fred

On Linux, make sure your /etc/host.conf file checks hosts before DNS by
having this line in it:
order hosts,bind

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951