New hard disk

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Nov 29 09:50:55 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 9:00 PM, Kjel Anderson wrote:

> So, everything has worked relatively well up to the time that it
> was time to
> resize the ntfs partition. I'm not having much luck there. My copy of
> partition magic is a little too old, gparted segfaults, linux
> rescue cd is
> unable to start the display. I am running out of options. I suppose
> I can
> delete the Windows partition and then create a new one when I
> reinstall, but
> that will take a really long time. ntfsresize will not resize the
> partition,
> so that doesn't really help. Any other ideas?

Grab the latest Knoppix CD (5.0.1, iirc) and see if that will boot on
the machine. I've used it to rescue a half-dozen machines around
here. O'Reilly's Knoppix Hacks are online (or could be borrowed from
the DLSLUG library - http://www.dlslug.org/library.html) and have
many recipes for common problems.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC