New hard disk

Python python at venix.com
Wed Nov 29 10:57:21 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 09:50 -0500, Ted Roche wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 9:00 PM, Kjel Anderson wrote:
>
> > So, everything has worked relatively well up to the time that it
> > was time to
> > resize the ntfs partition. I'm not having much luck there. My copy of
> > partition magic is a little too old, gparted segfaults, linux
> > rescue cd is
> > unable to start the display. I am running out of options. I suppose
> > I can
> > delete the Windows partition and then create a new one when I
> > reinstall, but
> > that will take a really long time. ntfsresize will not resize the
> > partition,
> > so that doesn't really help. Any other ideas?
>
> Grab the latest Knoppix CD (5.0.1, iirc) and see if that will boot on
> the machine. I've used it to rescue a half-dozen machines around
> here. O'Reilly's Knoppix Hacks are online (or could be borrowed from
> the DLSLUG library - http://www.dlslug.org/library.html) and have
> many recipes for common problems.
>
> Ted Roche
> Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
> http://www.tedroche.com

If Knoppix does not work, have you succeed in putting the free space
adjacent to the Windows partition?  If so I think you can use linux to:

        copy windows partition filesystem to new drive.  e.g.
        dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/home/kjel/nt-filesystem

        use fdisk to:
        write down current partition information
        delete windows partition
        create new full-size windows partition

        copy windows filesystem back to new partition.  e.g.
        dd if=/home/kjel/nt-filesystem of=/dev/dha1

        now boot windows
        If Windows still boots ;) it will run chkdsk (or whatever it is
        called nowadays) and expand the file system to fill the
        partition.

It has been a long time since I used this approach to expand a Windows
partition.  It is possible it no longer works.

Also the /dev/hda1 name I used above must match your system.  df should
provide the device names for the partitions.  If this fails miserably,
restoring the original partition sizes and using dd to put the original
ntfs data back in place should get you back to where you started.

(If I'm offering terrible advice - please someone speak up now!)

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp