ReiserFS creator arrested over missing woman

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Wed Oct 11 09:20:00 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 10:07 pm, Bayard Coolidge wrote:
> Guess I better reinstall with ext3 until ext4 is ready.
> Apologies in advance if there's too much HTML - I'm trying to do a
> cut-n-paste between the web page and Yahoo! Mail...
>
> http://www.theregister.com/2006/10/11/hans_reiser_arrested_in_missing
>_woman_case/ ReiserFS creator arrested over missing womanSuspected of
> estranged wife's murderPolice in Oakland, California today arrested
> Hans Reiser, the well-known Linux developer, on suspicion of
> murdering his estranged wife.  Nina Reiser, mother of two,
> disappeared on 3 September, after dropping their children at Reiser's
> Oakland home. She has not been seen since. Police have not found her
> body, but say there is enough circumstantial evidence to indicate
> that she was murdered. "This includes biological evidence that can
> put the missing woman in a car her husband had access to," the San
> Jose Mercury reports.  Nina Reiser's disappearance has attracted
> enormous media interest in Northern California. A website devoted to
> finding her has been established here. Hans Reiser, 43, is the
> creator of the eponymous reiserfs filesystem for Linux and other
> Unix-like systems. According to earlier reports, he had refused to
> talk to police about the missing woman.

    A man's (and yes, I mean to exclude women) professional life and
private life are often completely separate in his own mind - and in
reality.

    I hope that whatever is going on in Reiser's private life does not
lead us to diminish our respect and appreciation for his professional
contributions.

Jim Kuzdrall