RFC: VMWare talk for MerriLUG Nov meeting

Shawn K. O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Thu Oct 19 23:29:42 EDT 2006

Greetings,

I've agreed to do a talk about VMWare for the MerriLUG November meeting.
I've got a decent amount of experience from using it at work for the last
few months and it seems to be something people have interest in (or at
least virtualization in general).

The comments I'm requesting are for exactly what things people about
VMWare and/or virtualization that people would like to here about so I can
tailor the talk.

My personal thoughts far are to touch on VMware Player and Virtual
Appliances (vmware's free "virtual machine runner" and community submitted
virtual machines), VMware Server (the free product for Linux/Windows that
let's you create and run virtual machines) and probably demo the "I need
to run some Windows app on my Linux box" type of install, and maybe show
what VMware ESX Server looks like (their high end enterprise "run dozens
of vm's on a beefy server box" product). Wow....runon sentence.

Anyhow, does that sound interesting, too much, other particulars people
want to hear about?

Thanks for any input.

-Shawn