Seperating networks

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Fri Oct 20 09:44:04 EDT 2006

Steven C. Peterson wrote:

> I currently use a Linux box running Clark Connect to run my network,
> this box supply's a modified Linksys wrt54g to provide my wireless
> services
> that said most of my devices run on the wireless, the wrt54g pulls
> dhcp provided by the Linux box, I am unaware of what software
> Clark connect uses to run the dhcp server.

Probably dnsmasq.

> My question is Along with my devices and my roommates devices i have
> some other people who pay me to provide inter net to them (We co-op in
> to a pair of bonded t1 lines), i would like to separate my network
> from every body else's, (I.E. I do not want them to see my printers
> and shared folders, nor do i want to see theirs.)
>
> Any suggestions other than putting another router in place?

I suspect putting a WRTSL54GS will be your best bet. Put the OpenWRT
firmware on it, and you'll be able to use iptable to control all the
traffic to/from your own network. Including VPN.

Note: The WRTSL54GS router has a USB port on it for connecting storage
or whatever the Linux drivers will support. And it supports USB hubs,
... So you can even hang your printers on it. However, its only 266MHz,
so there's not enough horsepower to run ghostscript.

Its wireless antenna isn't that great, but you do get hardware
encryption. Seems to be a good deal for ~ $100US - for a fanless router.

--Bruce