nForce Watchdog problems

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Oct 26 20:03:16 EDT 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 05:26 pm, Ben Scott wrote:
>   You might tell us something about the hardware.  :-)  Such as:

I guess I was looking for more general experience to test the waters...
anyway, the servers are brand new Penguin Computing Altus 1600 SATAs.

Here's a link to their configure page on their site, which includes a tech
specs PDF link in the upper right.  That should have all the motherboard
information.
http://www.penguincomputing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=335&Itemid=483

Ultimately, these are dual Opteron 2210 dual core processors on an nForce
motherboard, so the forcedeth drivers are for the nForce chipset NICs,
onboard.

I've found a few helpful hints about using ethtool to disable tso, which
offloads some network traffic checksumming functionality from the CPU to the
NIC itself.  I've found suggestions that it's buffers overflow and the card
just stops working.  I was particularly puzzled by the fact that a cold boot
didn't even fix a machine that had worked fine for weeks, but only recently
been introduced to servicing a load.

I think that buffer was overflowing and staying overflowed through reboots,
since the NICs stay "on" to be able to listen for wake-on-lan functionality.
By unplugging the power supplies, the NIC lights went out and the machines
could connect to the network again.  So now I've setup a script to run
ethtool -K eth0 tso off for each NIC when it gets initialized and I hope that
will work.  I found at least a few things that suggest it would/migiht/did
for someone else getting similar errors on similar hardware.

This ringing any bells for anyone here?  I have to launch this hardware soon
and I should know with 24 hours if this fix works, since no server has
maintained a load for that long yet without this happening.  I would just
feel more comfortable I guess if there was more than a few search results in
Google to bounce off of.

Thanks,
-N