COX blocking own users outbound email

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Sep 4 08:29:01 EDT 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 16:02:25 -0400
"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>   In the "old days", using the Internet for commercial purposes was
> forbidden, and it was basically an ivory-tower research network.  When
> one opens the doors to the world, one has to realize that the bad will
> enter with the good.
Technically true, but it was not "The Internet". There was the Arpanet
and NSFNET that essentially became the public Internet. (Actually I'm
leaving out some details here).
Commercial traffic was not allowed on either network.  Essentially
prior to about 1985 much business email traffic traveled by uucp. I
remember sending email to a client in California to DECVax then to UCB.
In any case it had a few hops in between. I think Maddog now owns one
of the former DECVax machines. I believe that in 1986 with the
formation of the IETF is when commercial traffic was allowed. Prior to
that, many businesses did use the ARPANET ands NSFNET for either
defence or scientific purposes.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group