missing GNHLUG mail/GMail/SpamCop/SpamAssassin

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Sep 12 15:19:00 EDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:33:53AM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2006, at 13:00, Seth Cohn wrote:
>
> >Spamcop, like most of the anti-spam trackers, have ended up on
> >the wrong side of cautious, and blacklist sites for the most minor of
> >infractions.
>
> While figuring out what was happening with this, I found someone state
> a useful way of thinking about this: "Spamcop just tells you whether a
> machine is sending spam or not - what you decide to do with it is up to
> you."
>
> So, I've decided not to use SpamCop as a blacklist, just as a minor
> score incrementer and will be ignoring its opinion of large mailers.
> Same goes for rfc-ignorant.org BL's; yeah, Yahoo! ignores abuse and
> postmaster mail.  But I simply can't throw all mail from Yahoo! users
> in the Junk folder.  Still, it's useful information for unknown
> domains.

indeed spamcop can be pretty trigger-happy; using as the ONLY decision
point can give you headaches.  Although I do use it that way for some
netblocks, like if it comes from (e.g.) China and is on spamcop then
it may get blocked outright.  (That sort of thing is getting phased out
here, though, in favor of more hands-off reputation-based controls.)

I've heard of people using rfc-ignorant perversely: i.e. if it's on
rfc-ignorant, that makes it *more* acceptable.

As for the original problem (losing gnhlug-discuss messages), it's
really a good idea to whitelist things like mailing lists that you
are on..  For this list I key off of the list-id using a hdrctls
database (very opaque reference :-) ):

list-id:gnhlug-discuss.mail.gnhlug.org::[M/nl]

mm