CD/DVD/ISO images, readcd adding extra bytes at EOF?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 09:34:00 EDT 2006

On 9/19/06, Python <python at venix.com> wrote:
> My FC3 X-CD-Roast includes a pad-track option that is on by default.

  I'm a command-line junkie and don't use GUI tools for CD stuff.
"cdrecord" and "misofs" are all I use.  :)  Regardless, I never
actually burned the DVD image in question.  This was all about reading
and comparing.

> Apparently it is needed when burning .wav audio tracks.  When pad-track
> is off, an exact image is written.

  Hmmm, well, this is not an audio disc.  :)

> FC5 has a much simpler interface for burning media.  It appears to burn
> without padding by default.

  The disc I had was stamped, not laser-recorded.  I suppose Red Hat
might be making their release master using laser recording, and then
delivering that to the disc producer.

> I just checked my puppyOS CD against the downloaded iso

  And what did you find?  :-)

-- Ben