IPv6 and IPv4 - how to shut off IPv6?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 19:36:31 EDT 2007

Paul Lussier wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 15:48:34 -0400
>> From: Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net>
>>

>>> outside world are excruciatingly slow.  (Connection to google takes
>>> minutes, other computers on the same network, seconds.)  I do know that
>>> my router does not like to pass through IPv6 info, so I am suspecting
>>> something like this.
>>>
>>> Are there some tools I can use to determine what is actually happening?
>>> Firewall or traffic analysis?  If someone could show some sort usage it
>>> would be greatly appreciated.
>>>

> Have you tried the simple things first, like checking that
> /etc/resolv.conf is set up correctly, and /etc/nsswitch.conf?
>
> Check top and see what's running.  Is there something eating your
> bandwidth, like a torrent download set off by Myth?
>
> And, have you tried just resetting the firewall?
>
> A diagram of the setup might help too... And check that the Myth box
> isn't running iptables or something that could be interfering.

Paul,

Thanks for responding.

resolv.conf looks benign.

; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 192.168.1.1
search localdomain

Actually the gateway is at 192.168.1.1.  The gateway has two nameserver
addresses.

/etc/nsswitch.conf looks ok, I think.

It says to look to files for ethers, netmasks, protocols, and networks.
I don't know where the particular "files" are, so I can't comment on
whether they contain the right information.

top indicates that there is nothing eating cpu time.

I did find a bunch of stuff when I googled "fc6 disable IPV6".  Like
unresponsive internet access, and sluggish behavior.  I first noticed
this when I ran the mythfilldatabase command.  Sometimes the connection
would be refused or reset.  I was hoping a RH expert would jump in here
(not that you aren't one, are you?) and say something like, "we
recommend you turn off x,y but not z... because you need z for this
essential function in FC6."  In any case, thanks for your help so far.

As for resetting the firewall, how does one do this?  I am quite the
noob for most of this.

Thanks,
Bruce