IPv6 and IPv4 - how to shut off IPv6?

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Sun Apr 1 20:06:59 EDT 2007

Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> writes:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> resolv.conf looks benign.
>
> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> search localdomain

Interesting, mine looks like this:

  search hsd1.ma.comcast.net.
  nameserver 24.34.240.9
  nameserver 24.34.241.9
  nameserver 68.87.64.196

The 'search localdomain' doesn't look right to me.  What is acting as
your DHCP server?

> It says to look to files for ethers, netmasks, protocols, and
> networks.  I don't know where the particular "files" are, so I can't
> comment on whether they contain the right information.

'files' means the files in /etc.

> top indicates that there is nothing eating cpu time.

I wasn't thinking of eating CPU time, I was thinking of something
eating bandwidth. I don't know quite why I mentioned top, perhaps I
was thinking that if something was using all your bandwidth it would
also be in the list of the things showing up in top.  You might want
to look at netstat -an and check what open connections you have as
well...

> I did find a bunch of stuff when I googled "fc6 disable IPV6".  Like
> unresponsive internet access, and sluggish behavior.  I first noticed
> this when I ran the mythfilldatabase command.  Sometimes the
> connection would be refused or reset.  I was hoping a RH expert would
> jump in here (not that you aren't one, are you?)

Alas, no.  I haven't used RH in years.  They used to have a problem
with exponentially increasing timeouts for DNS resolution, and this
sounds vaguely like what you seeing.  I'm betting on DNS resolution as
the real culprit here.  That 'search localdomain' looks very wrong to
me.  I would check the website of your ISP and find out what their
recommended nameserver IP addresses are and stuff those into your
/etc/resolv.conf file.

> As for resetting the firewall, how does one do this?  I am quite the
> noob for most of this.

I'm assuming you have some kind of firewall between you and your
interent connection (DSL line, cable modem, etc.).  In which case, you
yank the power, count to 20, put the power back in.

You should also make sure you don't have iptables running and blocking
anything.

--
Seeya,
Paul