IPv6 and IPv4 - how to shut off IPv6?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 1 21:17:38 EDT 2007

Paul Lussier wrote:
> Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> writes:
>

>> Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> resolv.conf looks benign.
>>
>> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>> search localdomain
>>

> Interesting, mine looks like this:
>
>   search hsd1.ma.comcast.net.
>   nameserver 24.34.240.9
>   nameserver 24.34.241.9
>   nameserver 68.87.64.196
>
> The 'search localdomain' doesn't look right to me.  What is acting as
> your DHCP server?

My router.  It automatically gets the nameservers from my isp.  It seems
to works ok for my two SuSE 9.3 boxes.
>> It says to look to files for ethers, netmasks, protocols, and
>> networks.  I don't know where the particular "files" are, so I can't
>> comment on whether they contain the right information.
>>

> 'files' means the files in /etc.
>

>> top indicates that there is nothing eating cpu time.
>>

> I wasn't thinking of eating CPU time, I was thinking of something
> eating bandwidth. I don't know quite why I mentioned top, perhaps I
> was thinking that if something was using all your bandwidth it would
> also be in the list of the things showing up in top.  You might want
> to look at netstat -an and check what open connections you have as
> well...

Wow!  that was a ton of data!  I don't know how to interpret the list.
There are a lot of open connections.  I can't tell if it is doing much
>> I did find a bunch of stuff when I googled "fc6 disable IPV6".  Like
>> unresponsive internet access, and sluggish behavior.  I first noticed
>> this when I ran the mythfilldatabase command.  Sometimes the
>> connection would be refused or reset.  I was hoping a RH expert would
>> jump in here (not that you aren't one, are you?)
>>

> Alas, no.  I haven't used RH in years.  They used to have a problem
> with exponentially increasing timeouts for DNS resolution, and this
> sounds vaguely like what you seeing.  I'm betting on DNS resolution as
> the real culprit here.  That 'search localdomain' looks very wrong to
> me.  I would check the website of your ISP and find out what their
> recommended nameserver IP addresses are and stuff those into your
> /etc/resolv.conf file.

My router has two DNS entries in it.  They change from time to time.  I
could put them in the file.
>> As for resetting the firewall, how does one do this?  I am quite the
>> noob for most of this.
>>

> I'm assuming you have some kind of firewall between you and your
> interent connection (DSL line, cable modem, etc.).  In which case, you
> yank the power, count to 20, put the power back in.

There is a router, I can power it down...  Also there is some sort of
firewall running on the box.  As well as SELINUX in permissive mode.
The gui tools of FC6 don't give me much insight into how it works.
> You should also make sure you don't have iptables running and blocking
> anything.

How do I check that?  OK, I got it.  The only reject is at the end of
the list:

final line of iptables --list
REJECT all -- anywhere   anywhere reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

ip6tables is also running, its final line is
#ip6tables --list
REJECT all -- anywhere   reject-with icmp6-port-unreachable