mythinstall fest continued (long ramble)

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Apr 7 17:37:23 EDT 2007

On Apr 07, 2007, at 14:19, Bruce Labitt wrote:

[...snip...]
> On topic:  Somehow I have gotten things awry.  When I start the
> frontend it complains of not being able to connect to the backend.
> It asks if the BE is running.  So first things first.  Should I log
> in as user myth?

Yes.

> Run the backend, run mythfilldatabase.

If you've already run mythfilldatabase recently, no, just start up
the backend. But that should have been done at system boot time.

> Then run the front end?

Yes, the backend needs to be running for the frontend to be able to
do much.

> What should be done normally?  Can a startup script be created?
> What should be in it?

There's an initscript in /etc/init.d/ already.

# /sbin/chkconfig mythbackend on
# /sbin/service mythbackend start

> Before I got the installation messed up, it seemed the tuners were
> streaming data when they started up.  Then when I tried to connect
> to them, I got a message that they were busy.  This was after a
> cold start of the computer, but the  HDHomeRuns had been left on
> from a previous session.  So they could have been streaming data -
> but they hadn't been told to start over cleanly?

Not sure what's going on there, I've never had that happen with my
HDHR. But if it seems to be in that sort of state, I'd say just yank
the plug on it to reboot it. Its possible mythbackend would whack it
into submission/the proper state once its fired up as well. The cli
tools from silicondust might help as well.

> I think one can tell from this long ramble that I'm confused on the
> subject.  Can anyone get me going again?  Or point me in the right
> direction at least :)

Hopefully, the above helps.

--
Jarod Wilson