Home Audio / Re: SPDIF support

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Sun Apr 8 11:15:59 EDT 2007

>> Personally, I'd not consider Bose crap-level either. Perhaps some
>> of their
>> low-end stuff, but they also make some good stuff.
>
> Dollar for dollar, Bose is always over-rated.  The consumer level
> stuff is utter garbage, and the frequency response curves of a
> typical Bose speaker look like an amusement park roller-coaster
> schematic.  For the higher-end stuff, PA speakers, studio monitors,
> and the like, there are far better options.
>
> Granted I haven't been in *that* many professional recording
> studios (but I've been in a handful), I've never seen Bose speakers
> in use any place that people were truly concerned about sound quality.

Having done work in a couple radio stations, WMUR, and a handful of
theaters, I would agree with this statement. You never see Bose
speakers.

In professional places you actually see brands that you rarely see in
consumer products. Cerwin Vega and Mackie come to mind. About the
only "brand name" speaker I've seen in a radio station is Pioneer,
but the level of quality is not the same of what you'd find at even a
place like Tweeter.