Home Audio / Re: SPDIF support

brk gnhlug at karas.net
Sun Apr 8 09:39:59 EDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 10:54 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> Personally, I'd not consider Bose crap-level either. Perhaps some
> of their
> low-end stuff, but they also make some good stuff.

Dollar for dollar, Bose is always over-rated.  The consumer level
stuff is utter garbage, and the frequency response curves of a
typical Bose speaker look like an amusement park roller-coaster
schematic.  For the higher-end stuff, PA speakers, studio monitors,
and the like, there are far better options.

Granted I haven't been in *that* many professional recording studios
(but I've been in a handful), I've never seen Bose speakers in use
any place that people were truly concerned about sound quality.

> That same quote also
> included Pioneer. The Pioneer Elite series is actually quite good
> as well.

It's "decent", but in all honesty there is nothing special about it,
and no reason the Elite series couldn't/shouldn't just be the standard.