Making Debian ignore a drive

klussier at comcast.net klussier at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 10:43:52 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I am having an issue installing Debian on some servers. The servers have a flash drive attached to the USB bus for IPMI/LOM-type use. However, when I install Debian, the installer sees this device as sda, and the actual harddrive as sdb. I can install to sdb and after the intall is done, re-configure GRUB to use the correct drive, and everything is fine. I have tried using debian-installer/probe/usb=false at the installer boot prompt, but it refuses to ignore that drive. Does anyone know of a way to force it to ignore it?

TIA,
Kenny