Netflix & IE

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 18:54:18 EDT 2007

On 4/14/07, brk <gnhlug at karas.net> wrote:
> If I had to guess, Netflix probably doesn't really care all that much about
> it ...

  "Netflix" is is a corporation, and as such, is incapable of having
"caring" or "not caring".  :)  Now, working for Netflix are doubtless
people who care, as well as people who don't.  If the concerns reach
the right people who do care, something may change.

> ... they have to make an attempt to enforce some sort of content protection
> if they want to be able to deliver movies in this manner.

  Sure.  But there's no reason Firefox *on Windows* shouldn't be able
to work.  Windows Media Slayer is still available, and works
more-or-less the same way it does with Internet Exploiter.  It might
be little more than changing some JavaScript to recognize Firefox as
well as MSIE.

  Firefox on Linux, well, that's a different story.  Since WMP isn't
available for Linux, they would likely have to implement a whole new
distribution infrastructure.  There would need to be a lot of
potential income at stake to justify that kind of expenditure.  I
doubt there's enough of a demand for that (at this point, anyway).

-- Ben