Netflix & IE

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:01:00 EDT 2007

On 4/15/07, brk <gnhlug at karas.net> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
>
> > On 4/14/07, brk <gnhlug at karas.net> wrote:
> >> If I had to guess, Netflix probably doesn't really care all that
> >> much about
> >> it ...
> >
> >  "Netflix" is is a corporation, and as such, is incapable of having
> > "caring" or "not caring".  :)
>
> My dog's breath smells like dog food.
>
> >  Sure.  But there's no reason Firefox *on Windows* shouldn't be able
> > to work.
>
> You *know* this for a fact, or is it The World According to Ben?
>
> >   Windows Media Slayer is still available, and works
> > more-or-less the same way it does with Internet Exploiter.  It might
> > be little more than changing some JavaScript to recognize Firefox as
> > well as MSIE.
>
> Or it might be that the movie studios are too paranoid and
> misinformed, and Netflix is merely caught in the middle.  Based on my
> previous experience in the consumer electronics, music and movie/
> content industries, this is where I'm placing my bet.

Another possiblity - lousy admins.  A number of sites I've visited
have said they need IE (version x) to be viewed.  I use "User Agent
Switcher" on Firefox to change FF to report it's IE - and the site
works just fine.  So much for needing IE.  Of course, I'm certain
those sites also show FF doesn't visit much (and I actually don't
revisit, but I do send the marketing folks an e-mail about their lousy
site design and that I won't be visiting any more).

Of course, there are some sites where that trick doesn't work -
they're truly BUBH (borked up beyond hope).

jeff