Netflix & IE

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Apr 16 12:23:36 EDT 2007

Jeffry Smith wrote:

> Another possiblity - lousy admins.  A number of sites I've visited
> have said they need IE (version x) to be viewed.  I use "User Agent
> Switcher" on Firefox to change FF to report it's IE - and the site
> works just fine.  So much for needing IE.  Of course, I'm certain
> those sites also show FF doesn't visit much (and I actually don't
> revisit, but I do send the marketing folks an e-mail about their lousy
> site design and that I won't be visiting any more).
>
> Of course, there are some sites where that trick doesn't work -
> they're truly BUBH (borked up beyond hope).

A client of ours uses a Microsoft accounting solution (formerly named
Solomon). The web portal to it insisted they use IE 5.5 as recently as
January 2007. Once I dug into it, I discovered the Microsoft
partnet/vendor had apparently used FrontPage (or some tool of theirs had
used it) to generate the portal page. It was an older version of
FrontPage and embedded code to test for that specific version of IE (not
higher) and abort. When I rewrote that bit of Javascript, the site
worked fine with FireFox, Safari as well as all versions of IE. There
was one small section which relied on an ActiveX component, that is the
only bit that requires IE. I'm considering adding ActiveX capability to
Firefox so it can be used.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951