USB 2.0 CD/DVD?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:06:27 EDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Tyson Sawyer <tyson at j3.org> wrote:
> I'm interested in an external USB 2.0 CD/DVD that works with Linux.

  I'm a big fan of Plextor's stuff.  It costs a bit more, but you're
getting something for your money.  Outstanding performance and
reliability, featureful, well-supported in the industry (including on
Linux), continued firmware updates from Plextor, etc.  I've got a
Plextor PX-716UF at work (CD/DVD +/- R/RW,  USB and FireWire
interfaces) and love it.

  If cost is more of a factor, in theory, just about any USB CD-RW
device should work with Linux.  "Everything" uses a standard command
set these days.

  "In theory, everything works in practice as it does in theory, but
in practice this rarely holds."

-- Ben