USB 2.0 CD/DVD?

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Thu Apr 26 12:30:47 EDT 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 07:40, Tyson Sawyer wrote:
> Hey folks!
>
> I'm interested in an external USB 2.0 CD/DVD that works with Linux.
> ...I'm currently using Ubuntu 6.10 and expect to update soonish.  I
> definitely want to be able to burn CDs.  If reasonable on
> performance, OS support and cost, I'd also like to be able to burn
> DVDs.
>
> Any suggestions on what to look for or look out for?

    I have been using a Liteon Model SHW-160P6S10C 16X DVD/CD drive with
SuSE 9.3 on an IDE bus.  It works fine with the K3b burner and Linux
DVD reader.

    On a Dell C400 laptop without IDE available, I use a "Best
Connectivity" (i.e. no-brand China import) USB to IDE 5.25" external
CDROM case/interface.  It contains a standard CDROM of some sort.  It
works fine with SuSE 9.3.  Since the BIOS does not recognize the USB
devices, I can't boot from it.

    I suspect the Liteon and "best Connectivity" should work together,
but I have had no reason to try them.

    A Norcent DVD drive I purchased previous to this was terrible.  Many
reading and writing errors.

    All items were purchased from Showtime Computers (local)
www.showtimepc.com.

Jim Kuzdrall