winpopup in linux

Christopher Chisholm christopher.chisholm at syamsoftware.com
Fri Feb 2 10:34:57 EST 2007

Greetings,

I've been messing around with smbclient -M to send winpopup messages to
a windows system.  What i'm wondering is how i can go about receiving
and somehow displaying a received message in linux, which would be
coming from either a windows box or another linux one.

Mostly i'm interested in how the message could be displayed to all users
on the linux system... whether their in a windowing environment, or
connected via ssh, etc.  Does anyone out there have any experience with
this?  I haven't found much useful info out there (most of the info
talks about sending them TO a windows box), although i did find that you
can set a line in smb.conf like this:

message command = <some command> %s %t %f

where %s is the filename containing the message. %t is the message
destination and %f is the message sender (i guess samba has these
variables built-in).  The only problem is this doesn't seem to work... i
tried doing something simlple like:

message command = cat %s > somefile 2> someotherfile

but that doesn't seem to actually be working.

this is the site i found this info on:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMicrosoftWindowsNetworkIntegration.html
the winpopup stuff is near the bottom

any ideas would be appreciated!