winpopup in linux

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Feb 2 11:20:44 EST 2007

On 2/2/07, Christopher Chisholm <christopher.chisholm at syamsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Mostly i'm interested in how the message could be displayed to all users
> on the linux system... whether their in a windowing environment, or
> connected via ssh, etc.  Does anyone out there have any experience with
> this?  I haven't found much useful info out there (most of the info

The standard Unix way (tm) is to use wall.

In Solaris, wall -a sends it to the console and ptys so you'd see it in
every xterm.  Linux doesn't have a -a option and I'd assume that's implied
by default.

I usually add my message to /etc/motd so and new logins get it and use wall
to hit all current logins.