Motherboard Recommendations, and a hello...

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Feb 2 19:17:24 EST 2007

Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2007, at 16:53, Gary Kaufman wrote:
>
>> I've had
>> great experiences with ASUS, but the reports I've seen
>> on the web for Ubuntu and the ASUS P5B Deluxe have
>> been mixed.  On-board graphics would be fine as my
>> needs are very modest.
>
> Avoid the ASUS motherboards that use the ATI chipsets.  I have an
> ASUS system that I bought for a MythTV box which has ATI everything
> (video, IDE controller, bus controller, you name it) and driver
> support for linux was discontinued one year after the new model came
> out.  The video drivers are not open source, so this is a problem.
> The IDE controller is also buggy, as is the kernel driver for it.
>
> In recent years I've had the best luck with Intel motherboards.  I
> used to like Tyan, but haven't seen many recently.  If you need a
> video card, nVidia seems to suck less.

My experiences with ASUS vary. The low end boards have been problematic.
The high end boards have been good.
I like MSI boards, generally have had few driver issues. Not fancy, but
they've been reliable. I have about a hundred of these running Linux.
ECS used to be ok, but not in several years.
My recent Intel experience with built-in video, network, wifi, etc. has
not been good. Lots of odd kludges needed to support stuff, if it even
works at all. Works fine with Windows XP, but Linux support has been
poor to non-existent. Haven't tried their higher end boards in awhile
though.
IBM stuff has always worked well with Linux for me.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951