Evolution sucks??

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Feb 12 15:27:06 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, Jeffry Smith <jsmith at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On 2/12/07, Tyson Sawyer <tyson at j3.org> wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out of Evolution sucks or its just a user error.
>
> It's not user error - Evolution sucks.
>
> Next question:  What's people's favorite e-mail systems?  Mine are
> EXMH (by far #1) and Sylpheed-claws, with occasional use of Balsa.

Well, they all suck.

EXMH doesn't work well over a remote low bandwidth link
MH doesn't do graphics well
Neither works well with IMAP severs
Gmail leaves all your stuff on Goggle and won't sync contacts/calendar well
Yahoo! has too many ads
Outlook syncs well (for some $$) but isn't that good w/ trojans (and is
expensive)
Pine's license doesn't allow redistribution
Thunderbird is fairly heavyweight
Mutt just sucks less then all the others.
Emacs has too many email clients in it.
Blackberry has too small a screen
POP clients usually tie you to one computer

Did I leave anyone out?

Nerdvana would let me sync addresses/calendars with mobile devices + other
computers, be quickly accessible from everywhere (web, cell phone, PC, etc),
encrypt well, use little ram, do graphics, be fast, let me plugin any editor
I like, be cross platform and have a suitably free license.

Given the proliferation of email clients, I'd say we're not going to get
there soon.
You could say the same of editors and terminal programs for X....