Win64 Issues as a End-User Rant

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sat Feb 17 10:47:18 EST 2007

Unlike most of the folks that post here, I'm an end user.  :)  Except
that I'm a scientific end-user.
\rant on
Recently I was forced to run a simulation on a Win64 box remotely.  The
simulation just was taking too long on my puny Win32 laptop.  The
simulation needed more memory than Win32 could support.  After I ported
the application to the Win64, added a 64 bit compiler, I finally got
things to run.  I wanted to print out the graphics result.  Guess what,
our company has Win32 print servers.  No go.  The ticket with MIS has
been outstanding for 6 months now.  I don't blame MIS for this.  I do
have an issue with their choice for infrastructure, though.
\rant off

Ham radio not withstanding - there is no way that EM (Electro-Magnetic)
simulation is in the "end-user" rather than scientific.  EM simulations
require 64 bits for anything remotely complicated.