NHRuby.org February meeting summary.

Scott Garman sgarman at iname.com
Wed Feb 21 13:44:30 EST 2007

Last night's NHRuby.org meeting in Portsmouth turned out great, with a
total of 9 people in attendance. If you haven't been to the new
Portsmouth Public Library (it opened about a month ago), it's a
beautiful place.

We started with introductions and had a few new folks show up. Most
people are still very early on in their Ruby/Rails experimentation, so
we're going to keep that in mind for upcoming meeting topics.

After settling in, we watched a PeepCode screencast about RJS Templates.
The screencast was a bit fast-paced, and the LCD projector I had a
somewhat dim bulb in it, but I think everyone got to see some impressive
AJAX calls and dynamic HTML effects that you can do with RJS, and not
have to write a line of Javascript.

Everyone at the meeting got a coupon code to download one free PeepCode
screencast, so they can follow the RJS sceencast at their own pace, or
download a different screencast topic (these screencasts normally cost
$9 and I find are well worth it as learning resources). I also handed
out some schwag from O'Reilly.

After the screencast, the discussion turned to various things, including
upcoming conferences, people's development environments, and some of the
virtual machine implementations of Ruby.

For our March meeting, Brian DeLacey has graciously agreed to give a
talk about using crypto libraries with Ruby. I've heard people rave
about Brian's presentation skills, so this is one talk you won't want to
miss. Keep an eye on our wiki site for updates:

http://wiki.nhruby.org/index.php/Upcoming_meetings

Cheers,

Scott

--