embedded devices and open source

Python python at venix.com
Fri Feb 23 09:52:21 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 13:02 -0500, Thomas Charron wrote:
> Personally, I've done work for embedded
> systems that can run Open Source software.  The support nightmare for
> people who screw with the devices, then 'put back' the stock version
> of the software would be a nightmare, and would generally cause me to
> shy away from using ANY such software, which I suspect other
> developers and hardware manufacturers to do the same, in a sense,
> killing a growth path twards the 'Utopian' environment.

This comment intrigued me and I have simply ripped it out of the ESR/GPL
license context.

I have enjoyed using the Linksys Linux routers because of the
flexibility and network smarts that can be obtained from a relatively
inexpensive piece of hardware.

Is the manufacturer's perspective really that grim when trying to
support an open source device?  I would think the manufacturer of a
Linux/GNU device has an edge.  The manufacturer  simply has to implement
the base features of the competition.  By enabling others to build
additional modules and customizations the hardware becomes more useful
without much additional effort.

Am I way off base?

--
Lloyd Kvam