embedded devices and open source

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Feb 23 11:23:00 EST 2007

Tom Buskey wrote:

> I have 2 Linksys wrt54g routers myself and have recommended them to
> others
> because of the OS that I can modify after the warranty has expired/been
> voided.  In fact, the L version exists only to satisfy customers that
> want
> the Linux version and will pay more for it.  I wonder what the ratio
> of L to
> non-L sales is.

Purely guessing, but thousands to one most likely. Since retail stores
don't carry them, the general populace will simply get what Best Buy has
on the self. It is a niche product, since most folk (general populace
again, not IT folk) don't care what the router runs, or even does, as
long as it provides the function they want. Having said that, I've
bought more than a dozen WRT54GL units in the last year. Over time, I'm
replacing other units with them at various client sites. So, I'll be
buying another couple of dozens by summer. Oftimes, there isn't an
immediately compelling reason. The flexibility of being able to change
the behavior in the future, however, is the motivation for upgrading.
The artificial restrictions of the standard firmware limits me to having
various special purpose devices. The various Linux firmwares allow me to
create universal wireless router/access point/etc. devices, which can be
molded to immediate needs and then reconfigured for future, different needs.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951