More on MP3 and open formats

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 20:38:19 EST 2007

On 2/25/07, Jason Stephenson <jason at sigio.com> wrote:
> So, looks like I'll be spending the next couple of weeks re-ripping the
> hundreds of CDs in my collection.

  What I've done[1] is to rip my CD collection to FLAC files.  This
uses much more space[2], but yields a file which can be decoded to the
original CD digital audio.  That means I can transcode from FLAC to
MP3, Ogg, or whatever else might come along, without worrying about
transcoding artifacts[3].  This at least saves me from the hassle of
feeding 100's of CDs into my PC again.

[1] Well, started to do.  I'm a horrible procrastinator.
[2] FLAC gets about 2:1, while the various lossy codecs (MP3, Ogg,
etc.) get about 10:1.
[3] Just how much perceivable difference there is remains open to
debate, but what the heck.  Disk space is cheap.

-- Ben