CD/DVD writer woes

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Jan 17 12:26:01 EST 2007

(Using debian, 2.4.34 kernel)

Has anyone else had problems with the newer versions of cdrecord (aka:
wodim) ?  I have 2 different CD writers in my system, one of which
also does DVD writing.  The system definitely sees both of these
drives, one of which is also a SCSI drive.  I can place media (at
least CDs) into either drive and mount the file systems on them, but
neither of then can be written to.

I know I've written to at least one of them in the past and created
both iso9660 and audio CDs on it.  An older version of cdrecord sees
both drives, but can't write to it (there is good, writable media
currently in both drives).

$ sudo cdrecord -scanbus
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling

NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
      cdrecord and thus may have bugs that are not present in the
      original version.  Please send bug reports and support requests
      to <cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.  The original author should
      not be bothered with problems of this version.

Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus1:
	1,0,0	100) *
	1,1,0	101) *
	1,2,0	102) *
	1,3,0	103) 'HP      ' 'HP35470A        ' '1009' Removable Tape
	1,4,0	104) 'HP      ' 'C4324/C4325     ' '1.27' Removable CD-ROM
	1,5,0	105) *
	1,6,0	106) *
	1,7,0	107) *

Yet, when I actually try to write:
$ sudo cdrecord dev=1,4,0 -dummy speed=52 edubuntu-6.10-install-i386.iso
Password:
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J�rg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.

scsidev: '1,4,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 4 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
Identifikation : 'C4324/C4325     '
Revision       : '1.27'
Device seems to be: Philips CDD-2000.
Using driver for Philips CDD-522 (philips_cdd522).
Driver flags   :
Supported modes: TAO
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns zero sized Speed/Dummy information page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong size for Speed/Dummy information page.
cdrecord: Warning: controller returns wrong page 0 for Speed/Dummy information page (23).
cdrecord: Cannot init drive.

I've tried upgrading to the latest version of cdrecord/wodim with similar
disappointing results.  Ideas, suggestions?

--
Seeya,
Paul