CD/DVD writer woes

Kevin D. Clark kclark at elbrysnetworks.com
Wed Jan 17 12:48:16 EST 2007

Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> writes:

> (Using debian, 2.4.34 kernel)
>
> Has anyone else had problems with the newer versions of cdrecord (aka:
> wodim) ?  I have 2 different CD writers in my system, one of which
> also does DVD writing.  The system definitely sees both of these
> drives, one of which is also a SCSI drive.  I can place media (at
> least CDs) into either drive and mount the file systems on them, but
> neither of then can be written to.

[snip]

> I've tried upgrading to the latest version of cdrecord/wodim with similar
> disappointing results.  Ideas, suggestions?

Does this invocation work?

     sudo cdrecord -dao edubuntu-6.10-install-i386.iso

(the -dao was suggested to me by Ben Scott a Long Time Ago and really
has nothing to do with this problem...it helped me get the Fedora
media check thing to work, that's all)

I have noticed that recent versions of cdrecord seem to figure out the
device numbers automagically, that's all.  Record speed too.  In fact,
a while ago I noticed that when I tried to specify these things, the
process died somehow.  So, try *not* specifying these things.

Hope this helps,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E              Never could stand that dog.
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                   -- Tom Waits