Does GNHLUG need Internet-enabled calendars?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Thu Jan 18 09:02:38 EST 2007

Overheard at a recent LUG meeting: "And we need a real calendar, too!"

This is a call for Requests for Ideas, Volunteers and Naysayers
(since they'll appear anyway, and bring some reasonable objections,
too).

www.gnhlug.org's main page lists the who, what, where, when of
upcoming meetings, with links to details about the groups,
announcements and notes of past meetings, in a fairly compact if
uninspired format.

Google also maintains a calendar of the "regular" dates you can see
at [1]. There's an email announce list. (Is there an archive of the
announce list?)  What would members actually take advantage of? RSS
feeds of announce? An iCal/vCal enabled feed that automatically feed
announcements right into your calendar?

New technology with microformats [2] makes everything not only
possible, but fairly easy to implement in RFC-compatible ways.

Question #1: Is there a need for this?
Question #2: If so, what format?

I know all of the technology is out there. (I've even implemented
portions of it on occasion.) My question is not of feasibility, but
of compelling interest. Can anyone think of a "killer app" reason
that they would want this?

[1] http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Main/TedRoche
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar

Ted Roche