CD/DVD writer woes

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 19 03:17:59 EST 2007

On 1/19/07, Jason Stephenson <jason at sigio.com> wrote:
> The version in Debian, as it clearly states, is not the actual cdrecord
> from Jorg's cdrtools. There was a license dispute/clash of egos and many
> distros (or was it just Debian?) yanked Jorg's cdrtools package. I
> believe it has something to do with him wanting to charge money for the
> version that can actually burn to DVD. It also has something to do with
> his insistence on maintaining the quaint, SCSI-oriented device numbering.

It's not his charging that's the issue - he chose to mingle CDDL and
GPL code (and he's not the sole author) - the two licences are in
conflict.  He refuses to acknowledge it, Debian (as is normal for them
in these cases) refuses to ship something that is not distributable
(you can't satisfy both the CDDL and the GPL simultaneously).  They've
started work on a replacement.

Oh, and I'm certain Jorg hasn't helped with his "I know the best way
to talk to the HW - even if no one else does - Linux, BSD, etc should
change to my way of doing things" attitude.

jeff