CD/DVD writer woes

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:23:28 EST 2007

On 1/17/07, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:
> The version that did work is evidently long since gone from my system ...

  Ah, okay.  :)

>>> $ sudo cdrecord dev=1,4,0 -dummy speed=52 edubuntu-6.10-install-i386.iso
>>
>>   What does 1,4,0 equate to.
>
> That's the scsi drive. dev=scsibus,target,lun

  I know the syntax, I was just trying to determine if that was
parallel SCSI or IDE with SCSI emulation.

  Try "dev=/dev/sg*", where "*" is the proper generic device for your
drive.  You can use "cdrecord dev=/dev/sg0 -inq" to check which dev
node is what.  I've sometimes had that work when specifing the nexus
didn't work (Jorg's rants WRT to the sg driver not withstanding).

> The other one is ATA/IDE, and I can't figure out how to get cdrecord
> to 'see' the ATA drives.

  There are two methods.  One is just

	cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc

(not all kernels and/or cdrecord's support this method).  The other is
to use SCSI emulation for IDE.  Do "modprobe ide-scsi" to load the
module.  It will grab any ungrabbed IDE devices, and make them appear
to be SCSI devices to the rest of the system.  You can then use the
traditional "cdrecord dev=x,y,z" or  "cdrecord dev=/dev/sg?"
approaches.

  For IDE, sometimes one method will work, sometimes the other will
work (or none or both).  Try both, let us know what happens.

-- Ben