Does GNHLUG need Internet-enabled calendars?

Seth Cohn sethcohn at gnuhampshire.org
Fri Jan 19 14:06:46 EST 2007

On 1/19/07, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

> > Unlike bedework (java... ugh) , webcalendar is php/sql, making it
> > easier to make custom changes
>
> Heh, I'd invert that argument in the other direction.  :)

I have to strongly disagree.  IMHO, a php/sql app is usually very easy
to make minor tweaks to, and runs smoothly with clear errors (for
example).  I've _never_ seen a web java setup do the same or been easy
to customize.
There is a reason a large chunk of the Known Web runs on LAMP (Linux
Apache Mysql PHP) and not much J in there (for Java), and it's not
just because of Sun's licensing...

I'm not saying there isn't bad PHP voodoo out there (lord knows there
is, and some of the cruftiest buggiest code with security issues...)
but a well written + maintained PHP program is the likeliest to be
adjustable and supportable, especially by mixed group volunteer effort
like GNHLUG will likely provide.