Does GNHLUG need Internet-enabled calendars?

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Fri Jan 19 15:32:34 EST 2007

Seth Cohn wrote:

> On 1/19/07, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>

>> > Unlike bedework (java... ugh) , webcalendar is php/sql, making it
>> > easier to make custom changes
>>
>> Heh, I'd invert that argument in the other direction.  :)
>

> I have to strongly disagree.  IMHO, a php/sql app is usually very easy
> to make minor tweaks to, and runs smoothly with clear errors (for
> example).  I've _never_ seen a web java setup do the same or been easy
> to customize.
> There is a reason a large chunk of the Known Web runs on LAMP (Linux
> Apache Mysql PHP) and not much J in there (for Java), and it's not
> just because of Sun's licensing...
>
> I'm not saying there isn't bad PHP voodoo out there (lord knows there
> is, and some of the cruftiest buggiest code with security issues...)
> but a well written + maintained PHP program is the likeliest to be
> adjustable and supportable, especially by mixed group volunteer effort
> like GNHLUG will likely provide.

Ah! And let the "the best language is..." wars begin!

I'm inclined to agree with Bill on this issue.

The bottom line is that the clearest code is what the reader is used to
reading and using. I've seen plenty of unintentionally obfuscated code,
some of it PHP, some Java, and some in other languages (however, few
beat Lisp and APL for obfuscation-ability). I "grew up" modifying
uncommented code in <pick-your-least-liked-language>.

But I've been noticing a definite leaning of this list towards PHP/Perl,
and away from Java/C/... Perhaps this is because PHP/Perl were free from
the git-go, and Java only recently became free. Perhaps there is a
preponderance of casual coders on this list. Perhaps PHP is easier to
"pick up" than Java. Perhaps its because Java is embraced by
enterprises, and PHP by SOHO.

But for whatever reason, beware that whenever one says "foo is bad, bar
is good". There are others (that one probably doesn't associate with for
obscure reasons) who would say "foo is good, bar is bad".

Personally, I wouldn't choose an application (whatever its coded in)
that needs hands-on maintenance - I've got better things to do with my
time. I want something with a proven track record that is quick and easy
to use and understand. But most of all, it needs to get the job done.

--Bruce