Debian resource

Ed Lawson elawson at grizzy.com
Thu Jan 25 10:35:01 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:03:41 -0500
"Tech Writer" <TechWtr at handspun.com> wrote:

> Can any of you Debian users recommend a good reference or startup
> guide, or should I just stick with what I've got and continue to
> learn through trial-and-error?

I would suggest getting the latest installer for testing or Etch and
using that to install Debian.  This might solve the keyboard issue.
You could also check out the linux-laptop site and see if there are any
specific issues with installing Debian on your particular machine.
Sounds to me as if you need to get through the install issues first.

My experience with the Etch installer has been very good and with
Debian you do need to specifically tell it you want X-server and a
desktop environment as I remember.  Once you have that running I rather
think you will find Synaptic you tool of choice for exploring packages
and installing software.

Ed Lawson