Debian resource

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Thu Jan 25 10:29:59 EST 2007

On Thursday 25 January 2007 10:03 am, Tech Writer wrote:
> I just pulled the latest release from the debian.org site, so I'm guessing

What release specifically is it?  Debian's releases are called oldstable
(Woody), stable (Sarge), testing (Etch), and unstable (Sid) - the Toy Story
names are assigned to each release in turn and all cycle down as new releases
are declared stable.

> I've
> got The 'Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible' from Amazon, and the "Survival Guide"

I'm guessing this documentation probably has most to do with Sarge.  You may
be better off with an Etch installer if you're trying that, since Sarge is
getting a little long in the tooth and installer support for USB for example
may be a problem.  To say the least, Debian's installer has been the focus of
much attention in the last few years.

> Can any of you Debian users recommend a good reference or startup guide, or
> should I just stick with what I've got and continue to learn through
> trial-and-error?

If you're trying to install Etch and running into these problems, then I'm
guessing trial-and-error is your best bet.  Some things won't change, like a
default GUI since Debian doesn't install anything "by default" - you'd have
to select a desktop package to install that.  It's been awhile since I setup
a Debian desktop, so I don't remember the details, but I think the tasksel
part of the installer asks for general package selection categories like "Web
Server," "Database Server," "File Server," "Laptop," "Desktop Environment,"
etc.

HTH
-N