[Fwd: don't we all just love vista?]

Ric Werme ewerme at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 12:17:04 EST 2007

Ben Scott laments:

>   Window XP is scheduled to go out of "Mainstream Support" two years
> from Vista's release.  That's basically the end of 2008.  Painful
> experience has taught me that once Mainstream Support ends, support
> from Microsoft basically evaporates.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37167 says:

  SOFTWARE PEDDLER, Microsoft has decided to extend the life of its Windows XP
  home edition by more than a year.

  The Vole had originally wanted to kill off Windows XP Home in January 2009
  by removing the free support it offers on the software.

  In an interview with Kyodo News, Darren Huston, president of Microsoft's
  Japan unit said that Vole had bowed to pressure from users especially in
  Japan, for a longer support period.

  In fact, he hinted that it will be extended well after 2010. He said an
  official announcement will be made on Thursday, but all he will confirm for
  now is that it will be extended for more than a year.

While this is XP Home and Japan, I suspect corporate pressure on MSFT to
maintain support for XP Pro will be intense.

One of my daughters got a Mac Book and now my wife and other daughter
are drooling over it.  Given what it may take to support Vista and Aero
on a laptop, that may help reduce the price spread between PC and Mac....
FreeBSD Unix with support - sounds like a fine thing to recommend a
relative who doesn't need something PC-only ware.

   -Ric Werme