MythTV + mysql problems

Adam (gnhlug) gnhlug at thehelblings.com
Sat Jan 27 18:21:03 EST 2007

All,

So I am in the process of setting up my mythtv machine. I have run in to a
problem where I cannot login to my mysql database. I am following the steps
on wilsonet.com/mythtv/, but it appears that once I performed this step.

# mysql -u root mysql
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('ROOT_PWD') WHERE user='root';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit

with my desired password, and tried to then run, $ mysql -u root -p <
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.20/database/mc.sql

I get the error:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

I believe I am entering in the correct password, but I am wondering if there
is a problem with the fact that it is trying to log me in via localhost and
the db does not have this bit of information in its privileges db. Any help
would be greatly apprecated here.

Thanks,
Adam