MythTV + mysql problems

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Sun Jan 28 10:06:30 EST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Adam (gnhlug) wrote:

> with my desired password, and tried to then run, $ mysql -u root -p
> < /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.20/database/mc.sql
>
> I get the error:
>
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user
> 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

When you execute the first line above, does it prompt you for your
password? It may be that it is misinterpreting the SQL file submitted
as your password.

instead, try executing:

$ mysql -u root -p

and enter your password when prompted.

After that, at the MySQL prompt, type:

source /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.20/database/mc.sql;

> I believe I am entering in the correct password, but I am wondering
> if there is a problem with the fact that it is trying to log me in
> via localhost and the db does not have this bit of information in
> its privileges db. Any help would be greatly apprecated here.

MySQL usually has two entries in the users table for root: one for
host 'localhost' and one for host '%' The command you posted should
have updated the password for both entries.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com