PVR-150 (1042, 1045, 1062)?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Jan 29 19:58:23 EST 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 6:48 PM, mike miller wrote:

> I looked at NewEggs website and found several listings for what
> appear to be variations on Hauppauge PVR 150.  All include "WinTV"
> in the title and only list Windows as the supported operating
> system.  Variations in descriptions include straight " Hauppauge
> WinTV PVR 150" other descriptions include "MCE" & "1042",  "1062",
> or "274" and there is also a low profile version.  Are these all
> different?  Is it possible that one of these is still the linux
> supported PVR 150?  Prices are all different.  Which one or ones
> are linux users having trouble with?  There is also a PVR250 and
> PVR500 listed.  Any word on whether or not these are still usable
> with linux?

As best as I can determine, the one-thousand series numbers describe
packaging (white box, oem or retail) and what else is included with
the card. Here's a lead:

http://www.diy-pvr-dvr-htpc.com/index.php/
Difference_Between_Retail_and_MCE_Hauppauge_cards

The problem according to the many websites already cited in this
thread is that Happauge is bundling non PVR-150 cards in boxes that
claim to be PVR-150s. That's wrong.

As for the other PVRs, yes, many are also MythTV compatible.
(Apparently the HVR-1600 card in the mis-labeled PCR-150 box is NOT
MythTV compatible). Start with sites like www.mythtv.org and
www.wilsonet.com for lots of recommendations and pointers.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC