Where do you go for help and news?

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Wed Jan 31 08:33:34 EST 2007

Paul Lussier wrote:
> So, what sites to people here frequent?

Google.  But as already mentioned, you need to know something about your
problem and maybe even the potential solution.

> What Linux-related RSS feeds,
> blogs, help sites to people tune into to increase their knowledge?

RSS, blogs, etc.  Boy I wish I had time to just read.  Until the kids go
off to college, life is just too busy.

> What other suggestions are there for people new to Linux to reach for
> when they need help understanding some of the more heady
> sysadmin-related topics?

I think it's less the lack of reference material and more the lack of
time and/or commitment.  Besides on-the-job training, there have been
only two ways I've really learned stuff well:

1) Take a class.  For your "case in point", that would be a scripting or
programming class that is *nix based.  I learned *nix because that is
what my college programming courses used for the OS.

2) Make a new years resolution.  After using *nix on-the-job for over
ten years, I wanted to learn and start using Linux at home.  I bought
the RedHat 5.2 CD, and it sat on the shelf, year after year.  I finally
got frustrated with myself for not committing to learn it, so I made a
New Years resolution that I would do one Linux thing a month.  The first
month was installing RedHat 8 (see how long the first CD sat on the
shelf), the second was getting it on the internet, the third was surfing
and email, and so on.  By about six months I was using Linux for half of
my home computing.  After a year it was about 80%.  Now the only things
I still do on Windows are Quicken, TurboTax, and an occasionally game.

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking for, but I hope it's helpful.

Larry