Where do you go for help and news?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jan 31 08:59:32 EST 2007

On 1/31/07, Larry Cook <lcook at sybase.com> wrote:

> 1) Take a class.  For your "case in point", that would be a scripting or
> programming class that is *nix based.  I learned *nix because that is
> what my college programming courses used for the OS.

I 2nd this.  Many community college have linux courses.  Lots of commercial
training centers do too.  It's possible your company will pay for it too.

2) Make a new years resolution.  After using *nix on-the-job for over
> ten years, I wanted to learn and start using Linux at home.  I bought
> the RedHat 5.2 CD, and it sat on the shelf, year after year.  I finally
> got frustrated with myself for not committing to learn it, so I made a
> New Years resolution that I would do one Linux thing a month.  The first

After the class, you know more about Linux, but what do you *do* with it?

1) Find a project you want to do and use Linux to do it.

or

2) Immerse yourself in it.  Start using a Linux desktop instead of a Windows
desktop.  If you're at work and can get 2 computers, set one up with linux
and the other with XP Pro.  Use Linux as your main desktop and rdesktop into
the windows systems for those things you can't do (yet) in linux.

For projects, there's always the home server (DNS, DHCP, print, file, web,
photo, database, inventory, backup, monitoring, music, MythTV, X10 home
automation, MAME).  The "Hacking your ... ", "... Toys", ".... Hacks", "...
for Dummies" books are good sources of projects and ideas.

Basically if you're not doing it for professional reasons, it's a hobby.
How do I get started in Electronics?  Model Airplanes?  Photography?
Recording studio?  Linux is the same thing except there's way more stuff on
the internet about it then almost anything else except pr0n ;-)