Opinions about LaCie wanted

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Jun 5 19:11:44 EDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 10:51, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> Anybody here ever done enough business with
> LaCie that you have a well-founded opinion
> about the company or their storage products?

I've seen lots of failures of their gear in the field (diverse
sites).  The percentage is high (roughly 3/4 within a couple years)
but my sample size is low (~20).

I used to think it was because they were poorly ventilated, but the
Google paper seems to indicate that's not really the problem we were
lead to think it was.

I also saw one of their units recently that sits below a Mac Mini and
it seemed to be of much higher quality than older gear.  Very small
sample size there.

For small removable storage I've been buying Rosewill enclosures (USB
& e.SATA) after jettisoning half a dozen other brands from NewEgg,
DTBC (due to being crap).

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/